Share This Story!

Tsarevets Fortress

The Tsarevets Hill is located in Veliko Tarnovo. The main fortress of the medieval town of Tarnovo is situated on it. In the 9th century on the site of the early Byzantine fortress a Old Bulgarian settlement emerged and developed and expanded during the First Bulgarian state. In the 12th century the village was built with a lot of Bolarian properties. In 1886. the archaeological excavations of Tsarevets from the Czech scholar Karl Schkorpil begin and continue in 1893. and 1900. In 1930, excavations were made and Balduin Tower was restored. The first gate at the main entrance was restored in 1932-34. After 1946. systematic studies of the palace of the Second Bulgarian State began. In 1958, and 1959. The Regional History Museum started studies of the Tsarevets fortress system. It has been established that in the construction of Tsarevets fortress there are three periods: the first is from the early Byzantine era; The second was to the first half of the 12th century, well before 1185; The third one is probably in the 13th century, and the fortress wall has undergone four repairs and expansions. In the central part of the Tsarevets fortress was built the Palace of the Bulgarian Kings, which was a separate ensemble surrounded by fortress walls and battle towers. At the fall of Turnovgrad under Ottoman rule, the Palace of the Bulgarian Kings was burned and destroyed.


Book Your Next Vacation!