The Tsarevets Hill is located in Veliko Tarnovo. The main fortress of the medieval town of Tarnovo is situated on it. In the 9th century on the site of the early Byzantine fortress a Old Bulgarian settlement emerged and developed and expanded during the First Bulgarian state. In the 12th century the village was built with a lot of Bolarian properties. In 1886. the archaeological excavations of Tsarevets from the Czech scholar Karl Schkorpil begin and continue in 1893. and 1900. In 1930, excavations were made and Balduin Tower was restored. The first gate at the main entrance was restored in 1932-34. After 1946. systematic studies of the palace of the Second Bulgarian State began. In 1958, and 1959. The Regional History Museum started studies of the Tsarevets fortress system. It has been established that in the construction of Tsarevets fortress there are three periods: the first is from the early Byzantine era; The second was to the first half of the 12th century, well before 1185; The third one is probably in the 13th century, and the fortress wall has undergone four repairs and expansions. In the central part of the Tsarevets fortress was built the Palace of the Bulgarian Kings, which was a separate ensemble surrounded by fortress walls and battle towers. At the fall of Turnovgrad under Ottoman rule, the Palace of the Bulgarian Kings was burned and destroyed.
SOUND AND LIGHT
The audio and visual spectacle "Sound and Light" aims to build a memorable emotional image on the hill Tsarevets fortress, bringing together the entire historical essence, grandeur and glory of the ancient throne of Tarnovgrad - synonymous with the Bulgarian spirit and national pride. Leading element is the specially written music that traces the historical events and characterizes their invisible images. The musical theme overlaps consistently thoughts about the creation of the Bulgarian state 681; the struggles for its consolidation, as well as the peaceful construction work of the liberal Bulgarian people. Gradually rhythm increases, new themes are introduced, symbolizing the raids of one or another enemy. And as if the hill burned in red fires sounds like "The Many Years" - praising the heroic past and blessing for the future.
Patriarchal Cathedral of the Holy Ascension of God
The Bulgarian Patriarchate is the second major architecture monument of Tsarevets. It is richly decorated inside and out. The Patriarchal Church was built in two stages: the first –in the beginning of XIII century, the second - in the XIV century.During the exploration and diggings there have been found a lot of decorative plates and four-rosettes, decorated in various colours,as well as numerous paintings showing the Bulgarian craftsmanship over the centuries.Three open spaces have been found near the South wall and the middle one is a tower with a bell- a rare phenomenon in the church architecture in the Balkans.
Art Gallery of Veliko Tarnovo is one of the oldest in the country. It is a real architectural monument, which operates from 1934 is situated in the heart of the city. Its exposure is one of the - biggest in Bulgaria. Over the years,it is supplemented and enriched with High artistic works ranging collection of about 5000 works divided into three sections paintings, prints and sculpture. The gallery collects and stores works of Bulgarian artists from different generations and periods of development of the Bulgarian art. The Fund is exposed in adapted building in Park Asenevtsi. On the first floor are exhibited works on Veliko Tarnovo through the eyes of the artist "and the second freely chosen works of the gallery. In close proximity to the State Art Gallery, is the monument of Asen and Stambolov bridge of which there could be seen a wonderful view of the neighborhood Varusha, Gurko Street, and to defile the Yantra river.